If you like natural beauty and limited tourists then Fitzroy Island could be your perfect North Queensland escape. It only takes 45 minutes by fast ferry from the Cairns wharf. No roads, buses or cars. Go for the day, camp or stay overnight in the resort and be sure to feel relaxed in this pristine environment.
Six of the BEST on Fitzroy Island
1. Go snorkelling with the turtles – take the 90 minute boat trip to snorkel on a platform or hire snorkelling gear for 24 hours like we did. You can snorkel at beaches either side of the jetty and see coral, large colourful fish and giant turtles at leisure. Absolutely awesome.
2. Catch the sunset- either on the jetty, up high on the summit or at one of the bars. A magical sunset is guaranteed to impress
3. Bring the family for fun activities- there’s the safe sea trampoline, kayaking, free films for kids and adults and plenty of beach combing
4. Go hiking on short and well marked trails- you can be at Nudey Beach in twenty minutes, The Summit in 30 minutes or The Lighthouse in forty minutes. Our favourite was The Summit with stunning views all the way up and down.
5. Swim, snorkel or sunbathe at Nudey Beach – this non nudist beach was named Australia’s number one beach in Brad Farmer’s 101 Australian Beaches for 2018. Clear aquamarine water, whitest sand and coral and picturesque views across to Cairns and mountains.
6. Chill out at Foxy’s Bar only metres from the sea – a great place to watch the sunset, have breakfast or a burger, catch up with new friends and enjoy the natural environment.
2 thoughts on “Six of the best experiences on Fitzroy Island”
Oh this looks lovely Anne Marie. How nice to be there and not in Adelaide freezing to death!!
Welcome home to the frigid south. Sounds like you enjoyed Cairns, I think that every year one should have a winter break in the tropics to charge the batteries.
Good to hear from you